Monday, August 19, 2013

A-Z BOOK SURVEY

Author you’ve read the most books from:
L.M. Montomery; I probably read everything she wrote when I was a teenager.

Best Sequel Ever:

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: Mark Twain took Adventures of Tom Sawyer, a beloved children's book, and converted his audience's favorite characters into a scathing criticism of American society. It was probably one of the most subversive acts in American literature

Currently Reading:

Under the Sea-Wind by Rachel Carson and Glen Cook's Black Company series



Drink of Choice While Reading:

Diet cola

E-reader or Physical Book?

I prefer physical books, but recently I've caved to the convenience of e-books.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School:

I don't think I thought much about which characters I wanted to date. I've always been more focused on which ones I wanted to be. In high school, I wanted to be Emily of New Moon, but in reality I probably was more like Judy Blume's Sheila the Great.


Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:

Moby-Dick When you major in American Literature, you're supposed to pretend to be excited to read this massive book about whaling, but the reality is that many students freak out and try to skim their way through it. I did that the first time it was assigned to me, but the second time I made myself seriously read it, and it is one of the most profound, beautiful books ever written, and yes, the whaling chapters do have a purpose.




Hidden Gem Book:

The Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Doss; this was the autobiography of a woman who adopted 12 children



Important Moment in your Reading Life:

When I realized that The Giving Tree was not an insult to my reading skills. Someone gave it to me when I was 11 and I initially refused to read it because I thought it was a baby book. That book taught me that simplicity in writing does not mean simplicity in writing skill.



Just Finished:

She Is the Darkness by Glen Cook



Kinds of Books You Won’t Read: There isn't much I won't at least try to read, but I try to stay away from political propaganda books.



Longest Book You’ve Read: Since it depends on the edition and I don't want to spend six hours trying to figure this out, I'm going to say that I'm pretty sure it was probably Atlas Shrugged.





Major book hangover because of: I'm not sure I understand this question. Team of Rivals had me pretty muddled.



Number of Bookcases You Own: Eight, but most of the books are in boxes right now.


One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:
Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck; maybe I should have called this my hidden gem. It's my favorite of Steinbeck's books, and yet it doesn't get discussed nearly as much as GoW or OM&M.


Preferred Place To Read:
In bed.


Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read:

"He who troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind." from the play, "Inherit the Wind" (and also the bible, I guess)



Reading Regret:

The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski There are descriptions in there that still give me shudders, and I read the book twenty years ago.

Series You Started And Need To Finish(all books are out in series):

The Black Company



Three of your All-Time Favorite Books:

Other than books I've already mentioned, three of my favorite books are The Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver, O Pioneers by Willa Cather, and Beloved by Morrison.


Unapologetic Fangirl For:

Mark Twain, Zora Neal Hurston and American literature from 1835-1950 in general



Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:

Dan Swenson's Orision I've been waiting years for this book to come out. Literally. And yes, I am using literally the way it's supposed to be used.

Worst Bookish Habit:
Overanalyzing the books to the point were I ruin them for other readers.


X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:

Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention

Your latest book purchase:

Waiting for the Barbarians and Water Sleeps

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):

She Is Darkness

4 comments:

  1. BOOKS! YES!
    1. Anna of Green Gables is one of my all time favorites and my bests. Wait, I don't pick favorites. Strike that. I like it. A LOT. ;)
    2. Moby Dick & The Winter of Our Discontent our both on my to read list this year.
    3. To me: A book hangover is when a book is SO GOOD you can't decide what to read next and end up aimlessly staring at walls and wondering how life can go on without said book.
    4. Orision is gonna be the BOMB.
    5. WONDERFUL survey! So many awesome books. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many books and authors I have never heard of!! Oh dear! But then I am British. The only American author I adore is Stephen King - not 'quite' your thing! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read all the Judy Blume books, even got our English teacher to add Tiger Eyes to our study list in second year of High School!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not read anything on your list, in fact don't recognise most of the authors lol keep meaning to read Moby Dick but never really got round to it, back on my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete